Friday, July 18, 2008

The Point of No Return, Part II

Well, it is official, the invitations are out! For those of you that read the last two posts, you know that we have entered the realm of "The Point of No Return, Part II."

JC and I made our second wedding related trip to Vermont last weekend. On the agenda were various appointments ... hair and makeup (for Lauren), our tasting at the Equinox Hotel, a visit to the rehearsal dinner venue, etc. My Dad had called me earlier in the week, because he wanted to spend some one on one time with his future son-in-law and needed some recommendations on possible activities. JC suggested that they go and get their hair and makeup done as well. Dad opted instead for either a hike or target practice.

Fast forward to Saturday afternoon when the boys, Monnie (the dog) and I set off for a hike on a piece of property my Dad owns in Pawlet, Vermont. The first five minutes of the hike was great ... then the flies came out. I don't know if any of you have ever experienced Vermont deer flies, but they are deadly (Note - fly swatters are an important item to put on your packing list for the wedding). Further complicating the situation was the fact that JC, former Eagle Scout, has an allergy to GRASS. So we are hiking along (swatting flies, itching legs) and Dad is showing us the various building sites when we come to the edge of a cow pasture. Noticing that we would need to climb over an electric fence I decided to test it to see if it was on (standard Eagle Scout training) ... it wasn't. So Dad and I both climb over and continue on when we hear a yelp from behind. Yep, JC had been electrocuted and was clutching his arm, trying to regain feeling. Dad got a good laugh out of that one, he called us "city folk" for the rest of the day.

I distinctly remember the last time I was electrocuted by a cow fence. It was Prom Night 1996 and I has just gotten my car stuck in 2 feet of mud in a cow pasture behind Wilcox Dairy. So, I set off (in my white prom dress) into the pastures to find Adam Wilcox who would help me pull the car out with his tractor. While walking back to the farm, I had my run in with said electric fence. It isn't a pleasant experience, but you haven't really "experienced" Vermont until you've been electrocuted.

Stay tuned, because I think JC is going to post his version of this story ... should be rather entertaining.

It was an eventful weekend to say the least. Below are some pictures we took on the trip.

JC and I visited the rehearsal dinner venue, Mio Bistro

The wedding site, Equinox Pond Pavilion

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your wedding will be lovely and we are so sad we are not able to come and meet everyone in your family. We are so glad we were able to meet you, Lauren and see JC and family in our home in Federal Way in August.
You are a great match for JC and we are looking forward to reading your blog and vice versa to keep up on families.
Have a wonderful September!
Love, John and Andi Sandberg